We all have to deal with fears in our lives, the key is how you manage them. In this article, you’ll learn 5 ways to manage fear…
1) Exercise :
- Exercise can help you refocus as your mind can only focus on one thing at a time.
- You can run, go on a walk, do a cardio workout, weights or do some yoga, it really doesn’t matter as long as you’re active.
- This will build confidence and help change your state to be more positive.
2) Use Humour:
- When afraid we can be overcome by negative emotion that causes us to feel the way we do.
- However, it’s not possible to be both afraid and happy at the same time.
- For example, you might feel fear when you go on a fun fair ride, but if you enjoy the ride, it’s because the fear has been replaced with joy.
- Therefore use this knowledge to your advantage, and try to laugh or find humour in the situation that causes you to be afraid.
3) Use the 5 Second Rule:
- The 5 Second Rule is incredibly versatile and can be used to manage fears .
- If you can understand the emotional triggers that cause fear, you can use the 5 Second Rule to stop yourself from feeling overwhelmed.
- You do this by understanding what you’re afraid of, but then identify and visualize why you’re doing it .
- As you visualize, you count down from 5 to 0 and take deep breaths, as your brain has time to refocus attention on the purpose, rather than feeling.
4) Breathe Deeply:
- Breathing exercises can directly impact our mood.
- Therefore, when you start feeling sensations of fear, breathe in deeply.
- Inhale slowly through the nose deep into your belly, hold your breath for 5 to 10 seconds, then slowly release your breath through your mouth until no more air can come out.
- Repeat this for 5 to 10 times, and focus your attention only on your breathing patterns.
5) Take Action Regardless :
- If your fear isn’t likely to put you in danger, push through and take action regardless .
- By actively forcing yourself to take action, you gain experience.
- Through experience we build confidence and repeated experiences will help you overcome the fear as it will become natural to you .
- Do this by applying the 5 Second Rule if necessary.
Randall C. Schneider is the founder and owner of ANTOCAT. he is been freelancing for many years and now focusses on WordPress development and blog design for small businesses and online publishers