Listening is one of the most important skills one can have.Here are some tips to be an effective listener…
1) Concentrate on what the speaker has to say :
- People want to be heard when speaking.
- Focus your attention on the speaker.
- So that they feel they have your attention…and your respect!.
2) Maintain steady eye contact :
- This is so speakers know your attention is with them.
- If you can’t maintain eye contact.
- Focus on other areas on the face, such as the mouth.
- Or their hands if they’re gesturing.
3) Reflect back with verbal feedback :
- You do this to confirm your understanding of the message.
- By doing this the speaker will be aware they have your attention…
- can clear up any potential misunderstandings.
4) Be patient :
- Many people naturally wait for a speaker to finish to share their thoughts.
- Try to avoid disrupting the speaker…
- …or making them feel rushed to make their point.
- This will help build stronger rapport as a result.
5) Tune into how the message is being said.
- Do not just listen to what the words are.
- Instead, understand the meaning behind the words…
- …and the emotions and feelings of the speaker.
- This will help you have greater empathy for them.
Randall C. Schneider is the founder and owner of ANTOCAT. he is been freelancing for many years and now focusses on WordPress development and blog design for small businesses and online publishers